Frittata with Roasted Vegetables, Sausage and Chicken

My family have always been a big fan of eggs in all their forms, steamed, boiled and fried. We consume almost 3 dozens of eggs evey week. The most common home-style dish is stir-fried eggs with vegetables such as spring onion, garlic chive, capsicum, tomato. We don't usually add cheese to the eggs except for omelette.


Frittata is an Italian omelette with cheese and vegetables with or without meat. It's partially cooked on the stove top then grilled in the oven. The idea of making a frittata at home came from Donna Hay's Roast Vegetable Frittata recipe. Since I don't have a pan that can be used on both stove top and in the oven, I decided to bake it in the oven.
In addition, I found juggling from oven to stove top, then from stove top to oven is a bit stressful :).

Donna Hay's frittata is packed with sweet potato, capsicum, potato and zucchini. Checked my fridge, there were some sausages and leftover babecued chicken. So I added them in and omitted potato. As for the cheese, I mixed some Gouda cheese with parmesan cheese because I was curious about the taste. I also sprinkled some mozzarella cheese on top. That became my version of oven-baked frittata.

I served this frittata together with rice. Everyone seemed have been waiting too long for it to be ready, they cut the frittata before I could took a few more "nice" pictures. Anyway, we have really enjoyed this Italian omelette, and it has become an addition to my family's egg dishes.


FRITTATA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLE, SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN

Ingredients:

- 200g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 red capsicum, cut into pieces
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- some chicken sausages
- 200g cooked chicken,  shredded
- olive oil and sea salt for sprinkling
    
frittata mix 
- 6 eggs       
- 200ml cooking cream     
- ½ cup grated Gouda cheese       
- 2 tablespoons shredded Chinese parsley       
- cracked black pepper




Directions :      
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the sweet potato or pumpkin, capsicum, cucumber on a baking tray.
  2. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 40 minutes or until soft and golden.
  3. Whisk together the eggs, cream, cheese, parsley and pepper. Pour over the vegetables in the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until the center is firm and springy. Place the frittata under top grill and cook for 2 minutes or until golden.

Original recipe can be found from Donna Hay's webiste here.


I am linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs. We are having a potluck this week with the choice of any recipe from IHCC featured chefs.

IHCC Potluck Badge

Comments

  1. I have this recipe bookmarked but I really like the changes you've made to it, switching up the cheeses and adding chicken and sausage. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this recipe on more than one occasion and it is always a hit...your photo does it justice. A great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great ingredients tucked into this pretty frittata. I am not surprised your family couldn't wait to dig in! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a delicious frittata! No wonder your children are impatient for it to be done! It sounds wonderful with the changes you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice complete dish. Excellent pick for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I love frittata - they are so endlessly variable, and easy to put together with whatever you have on hand. We are in the height of asparagus season at the moment in my part of the world, so asparagus frittata is often my "go-to" quick and easy lunch at the moment. Love all the ingredients and flavours combined in this version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a stunning frittata just brimming with lots of tasty goodies! I love how colorful and nutritious it is and I bet your family absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a perfect lunch dish for Sunday. Love making fritattas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting this - I am always put off fritattas due to not having a suitable pan - and the faff of transferring from hob to oven seems like too much work (not that I'm lazy or anything...!). So it's good to know that it works well when just cooked in the oven too. I'll be trying this out, minus the meat. I'm curious about the cucumber though, I've only ever eaten it raw, in salad - is it nice cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      I run out of zucchini, that's why I used cucumber in this frittata. I do stir-fry cucumber though, together with eggs. It taste nice. You can give it a try.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken