Thai Red Curry Fish, Asian Food Fest

I am not used to spicy food even though I have been living in Singapore for a decade. Whenever I order food at hawker center,  I always tell the server to put less chili for me. That's the reason I seldom cook red curry dish at home. Its color gives me an impression that red curry should be very hot!  Well, since everyone in my family love the taste of curry, we choose Japanese curry roux (mild) instead. We often cook it with vegetables without any meat,  and everyone just can't get enough of it, especially eat with a plate of steamed rice. 
 
 
 
Last Saturday,  I chanced upon a Thai Red Curry Fish recipe from Women's Weekly magazine.
This is a restaurant-style dish that readers can whip up in the home kitchen. What attracted me the most is  that it does not look red (spicy) at all from the picture. It should suit my family's taste.  In addition,  I have been scratching my head to think of a Thai dish to participate a blog event - Asian Food Fest.  For this month, it's Thai Food, hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings . Now, I am delighted to have this recipe on hand!
 
All the ingredients are readily available from supermarket. I used store-bought Red Curry Paste, canned pineapple and bamboo shoot,  packet coconut cream and chicken stock, as well as frozen cooked green beans.  Looks like a flavourful combination!
 
The dish turned out good , not spicy, very fragrant and sumptuous!  An excellent complement to steamed rice. This is probably another my signature fish dish , just next to Baked Fish with Tomato.
 
 

THAI RED CURRY FISH
(Recipe adapted from Women's Weekly Oct Issue, pg 155)
 
Ingredients 
  • 1 teaspoon peanut oil
  • 75g Thai red curry paste
  • 400 ml coconut cream (* I used 200ml)
  • 125ml chicken stock (* I used 250 ml)
  • 225g canned pineapple slice (3 cm pieces drained)
  • 225g canned bamboo shoot (3 cm pieces, drained)
  • 600g fish fillet
  • 500g green beans, trim and slice
  • 1 small zucchini, slice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry curry paste for 1 minute or until fragrant.
  2. Add coconut cream and chicken stock bring to a simmer. Add pineapple and bamboo shoots, bring back to a simmer.
  3. Drop fish pieces carefully and simmer for 2 minutes. Add beans to wok and simmer for 1 minute.
  4. Stir in zucchini, fish sauce, lime juice, take care not to break up fish pieces.
  5. Spoon cooked rice to individual serving plate. Top with curry fish and serve warm.

Comments

  1. hi joy, yes your red curry doesnt look red at all :) i am actually delighted to know that you attempted this after knowing that you cant take really spicy food. It is a good try! Chicken stock, i'm sure this is tasty enough for a red curry ! Thanks for your entry !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken