Christmas Shortbread Cookies

If you like shortbread, this recipe is the one!  Compared to Scottish shortbread I made last year for Christmas, I had doubts these would be any good with only four ingredients. However, these cookies are just incredible. They taste like Chessmen cookies from Pepperidge Farm.

You've got to use really good quality ingredients, like SCS unsalted butter and real vanilla extract. Otherwise, the flavor maybe ruined.  I’d say these shortbread cookies are fantastic, but I have a confession to make. I inadvertently made a major change to the recipe. The recipe calls for 1 cup of butter. That means two sticks  (227g) of butter. For some reason, though, I was thinking it was one stick of butter. So I only used ~120g of butter. The cookies were still very, very good and were well received.  If you want a reduced fat version, try making it with just one stick of butter.  The dough is dry and crumbly, which made it easy to cut out with cookie cutters. With 2 stick of butter, I guess you would have to use cookie press as the dough would be sticky. After all, cookies like this is meant to be shared for a special occasion. They are crunchy on the outside with wonderful butter flavor.  After bake, I sprinkled with coloured sugar, which made them a blissful gift for Christmas!

 
I would definitely make again with some strawberry or bluberry preserves in the center. These cookies are great for decoration.
 
SHORTBREAD COOKIES

Ingredients
  • 1 stick (120g) butter, softened 
  • 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F(180°C).
  2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla; add flour and mix well.
  3. Cut out cookies with cookie cutter, and place onto the baking sheet.   
  4. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom .

Original recipe from allrecipes.com.


Comments

  1. I love your low fat version. Lol! Mistakes can pay off! I've never made shortbread cookies and this looks like a good place to start. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken